Visiting Research Scholar, New York University Law School.
Doctoral research in the Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University, supervised by Prof. Shahar Lifshitz. Thesis subject: “Determining Legal Parentage by Agreement”.
President’s Scholarship, a 3 year award for an exceptional Ph.D. candidate, Bar-Ilan University.
Researcher at the Center for Health Law and Bioethics, Ono Academic College, in partnership with Dr. Gil Siegal.
Research Associate: Agunah Research Unit, Centre for Jewish Studies, University of Manchester. (In Jewish Law [halacha], an agunah is a women “chained” to a missing or uncooperative husband).
M.A. thesis entitled: “Public Regulation and Private Agreement of Spousal Conjugal Privileges in Jewish Law” Supervised by Prof. Berachiya Lifshitz and Prof. Shahar Lifshitz, cum laude (final grade: 97).
Training for communal rabbinate, Rothschild Fund and the Institute for Higher Jewish Studies, Bar-Ilan University.
Licensed Attorney, Israel Bar Association.
Arbitration Studies, Israeli Center for Negotiation and Mediation (ICNM)
Direct M.A. track – B.A. followed by M.A. cum laude, Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University.
B.A. studies in the Department of Talmud and Oral Law (completed cum laude), Bar-Ilan University.
Rabbinic studies leading to ordination as a Rabbi, under the auspices of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel.
Studies towards a Teaching Diploma
Graduate of the Yeshiva High School Midrashiat Noam, specializing in sciences and computers. Advanced studies in English, physics, mathematics, and computers.
Voluntary and Social Activities
Zionist emissary sent by the Jewish Agency and Igud Yeshivot Hesder to the Jewish community in Cleveland, U.S.A.
Volunteer in the youth Movement ‘Yachad’, which aids disabled children and children with learning disabilities.
Youth leader for the National Council of Synagogue Youth.
Youth leader in a youth movement.
Lecturer in the IDF Rabbinate Lecturer’s Dept., on Family and Marital Relations.
Service at the Gush Eziyon Hesder Yeshiva – Teacher and educator in the pre-military school Or Ezion, Chaplain.
Investigative officer in a unit for identifying corpses.
Hebrew – Mother tongue.
English – High level.
· The Jewish Family – Between Family Law and Contract Law (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming, 2016).
· Determining Legal Parentage – Between Family Law and Contract Law (forthcoming, 2017) (Heb.).
Yehezkel Margalit & John Loike, The New Frontier of Advanced Reproductive Technology: Reevaluating Modern Legal Parenthood, 37 Harvard Journal of Law and Gender 107 (2014)
· From Baby M to Baby M(anji): Regulating International Surrogacy Agreements, The Journal of Law & Policy (2016, forthcoming)
· Artificial Insemination from Donor (AID) – From Status to Contract and Back Again?, 21(1) Boston University Journal of Science & Technology Law 69 (2015)
· Bridging the Gap Between Intent and Status: A New Framework for Modern Parentage, Whittier Journal of Child and Family Advocacy (2016, forthcoming)
· In Defense of Surrogacy Agreements: A Modern Contract Law Perspective, 20 William & Mary Journal of Women and the Law 423 (2014) (was accepted also to Duke Journal of Gender Law and Policy)
· Intentional Parenthood: A Solution to the Plight of Same-Sex Partners Striving for Legal Recognition as Parents, 12 Whittier Journal of Child and Family Advocacy 39 (2013)
· To Be or Not to Be (A Parent)? – Not Precisely the Question; the Frozen Embryo Dispute, 18 Cardozo J. L. & Gender 355 (2012), was reprinted in Minnesota Family Law Journal (2012).
· Towards Determining Legal Parentage by Agreement in Israel, 42 Mishpatim 835 (2012) (Heb.)
· Determining Legal Parenthood by Agreement as a Possible Solution to the Challenges of the New Era, 5 Haifa Law Review 553 (2012) (Heb.)
· ‘Freedom of Contract’ in Halachic Family Law? – A Comparison of the Babylonian Talmud and the Palestinian Talmud, 25 Bar-Ilan Law Review 803 (2010) (Heb.).
· The Rise, Fall and Rise Again of the Genetic Foundation for Legal Parentage Determination, 3 Journal of Health Law and Bioethics 125 (2010) (Heb.)
· Scarce Medical Resources – Parenthood at Every Age, In Every Case and Subsidized By the State?, 9 Netanya Academic College Law Review 191 (2014)
· Freedom of Contract in Regulating Spousal Conjugal Relations in Jewish Law, 6-7 Family in Action 505 (2013-4) (Heb.)
· Temporary Marriage – A Possible Solution to the Problems of Mesorevet Halizah and Agunah?, Jewish law annual (forthcoming)
· Are there no Conditional Marriages?, 7 Family in Action (forthcoming) (Heb.)
· Redefining Parenthood – From Genetic Essentialism to Intentional Parenthood, 2016 Columbia University Journal of Bioethics (forthcoming)
· On the Dispositive Foundations of the Obligation of Spousal Conjugal Relations in Jewish Law, XVIII JLAS 164 (2008)
"הורות משפטית מן הדין ומן הצדק" (בהליכי שיפוט).
2010 – 2011
Lecturer on Family Law and Contract Law, Tel-Aviv and Bar-Ilan Universities and Netanya Academic College.
Lecturer on Health Ethics, Faculty of Health Professions, Ono Academic College.
Lecturer on Family Law and Contract Law, Carmel Academic College, Ono Academic College and Sapir College.
Researcher in the Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Israeli Health Ministry.
Lecturer on “Legal & Bioethics Dilemmas at the Beginning of the Life", Bar-Ilan University.
2009 – 2010
Vice Chairman of the Commercial Law Center, Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University.
Lecturer on “Jewish Law – Between Tradition and Innovation,”; “Survey of Means to Solve the Problem of the Agunah,” and tutorial course in Family Law and Jewish Law, Ono Academic College.
Member of the Publication Committee of the international Jewish Law Association
Joint Lecturer on “Modern Biology and its Ethical Challenges” in the course of study in Bioethics at Bar-Ilan University.
Deputy editor of a journal on Health Law and Bioethics.
Responsible for practical training in Jewish Law, Ono Academic College.
Teaching assistant to Professor Ya’akov Bazak, a retired judge; Teaching assistant to Prof. Shahar Lifshitz for Contract and Family Law, Ono Academic College.
Y. Gurnitzki & Co., Attorneys at Law and Notaries.
Legal intern, supervised by Atty. Daphne Talgam (Gurnitzki).
Worked in various commercial and civil legal branches, including: real estate, contracts, companies, monopolies, ecology, and litigation.
Preparatory training in the International Department, dealing with B.O.O. and B.O.T. transactions.
Research assistant, Prof. Shahar Lifshitz, Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University dealing with contract and family law.
Teacher, Fuchs Beit Sefer Mizrachi, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.
Teacher and educator in Military School ‘Or-Ezion’.
Congresses and Lectures
- Lecture on, “Baby M(anji), Baby Gammy and Beyond: Preserving the BIC in International Surrogacy Agreements”, 8th International Symposium on the Jurisprudence of the Family, 9-10.6.15.
- Lecture on, “In Defense of International Surrogacy Agreements: the Israeli perspective", 10th World Conference on Bioethics, Medical Ethics & Health Law 2015, 7.1.15.
- Lecture on, “In Defense of International Surrogacy Agreements", the ISFL Israel Conference 2014, 2-3.1.14.
- Lecture on, “Scarce Medical Resources? – Procreation Rights in a Jewish and Democratic State”, “To Be A Mother?!”, The College of Management Academic Studies, 23.5.13
- Lecture on, “Brave New Reprogenetics Ethical Challenges” (with Dr. John Loike from Columbia University), the Israeli National Forum for Genetics, Ethics and Law at Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Israeli Health Ministry, 18.02.13.
- Lecture on, “Three Fathers and Four Mothers…On the Challenge of Establishing Legal Parentage in a Changing Reality”, International Conference, Bar-Ilan University, 4.1.11.
- Lecture on, “The Limits of Authority in Modern Halakhic Rulings”, Nitzotzot Conference, Bar-Ilan University, 25.11.2010.
- Lecture on, “Parenthood at any Price? – Halachic, Legal and Ethical Aspects of IVF”, Annual Ono Academic College Conference, August 2009.
- Lecture on, “‘Freedom of Contract’ in Halachic Family Law? – A Comparison of the Babylonian Talmud and the Palestinian Talmud”, The Fifteenth World Congress, The Jewish Law Association, June 2008.
- Lecture on, “Two Aspects of the Right to Grow Old Gracefully”, a study day in memory of Ya’akov and Peninah Herzog, together with Yad Sarah and Hadassah, on “The Rights of the Patient in Law and Halachah”, June 2007.
- Lecture on, “On the Dispositive Foundations of the Obligation of Spousal Conjugal Relations in Jewish Law”, The fourteenth international conference of the Jewish Law Association, Bar-Ilan University, June 2006.
· Prof. Bernard S. Jackson, Agunah Research Unit, Centre for Jewish Studies, University of Manchester.
· Atty. D. Talgam (Gurnizki), Gurnitzki & Co., Attorneys at Law and Notaries.
· Prof. B. Lifshitz, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University.
· Prof. S. Lifshitz, Dean of the Faculty of Law, Bar-Ilan University.
· Dr. G. Loike, Director for Special Programs for the Center for Bioethics and Co-Director for Graduate Studies in the Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
· Dr. G. Siegal, Chair, Center for Health Law and Bioethics, Ono Academic College.
· Prof. D. Schwartz, Vice Chairman and Dean of the Faculty of Law, Ono Academic College.